As with any device, it is important to understand how to keep your mouthguard clean after each use. Taking care of your mouthguard is important to ensure the guard continues to protect your teeth properly. We recommend if patients use a mouthguard to add the cleaning process to your daily oral hygiene routine at home.
How Can I Take Care of My Mouthguard at Home?
- Rinse your mouthguard immediately after each use with warm water. This helps to loosen up any bacteria or plaque that may have built up while wearing the device.
- Gently brush your mouthguard using a toothbrush. A separate toothbrush can be used for this process if you prefer to not use the brush used for your teeth.
- Do not use toothpaste to brush your mouthguard as this can be too abrasive and could damage the mouthguard.
- Set the clean mouthguard on a clean surface and allow it to dry completely. If you do not let your mouthguard dry completely bacteria growth may occur. Typically, the drying process takes between 15-30 minutes.
- Once the mouthguard is dry store the guard in a case to protect it from any damage. It may be best to store the mouthguard outside of the bathroom to ensure the humidity or steam does not cause the mouthguard to warp over time.
When Should I Deep Clean My Mouthguard?
Dr. Trent Redfearn, our dentist in Highlands Ranch, CO recommend patients should deep clean their mouthguard at least once a week. Patients can use a denture cleaner from your local pharmacy, mouthwash mixed with water, or mix vinegar and hydrogen peroxide together. Place the mouthguard in a bowl, and let it soak in the mixture of your choice for at least 30 minutes.
Once the mouthguard has soaked you can remove it, and allow it to dry completely before placing it back in the case. Cleaning the mouthguard case is also important. Cases can be hand washed every couple days to remove any bacteria that has collected over time. We recommend mouthguard cases be replaced every 6-12 months.
When you visit our dental office in Highlands Ranch, always bring your mouthguard and case. This gives our doctor the ability to inspect your mouthguard, and ensure the guard still fits properly. Our team can also help you clean the guard if necessary during your appointment. Taking care of your mouthguard is easy if you incorporate the cleaning process into your oral hygiene routine at home.
Looking to Find a Dentist in Highlands Ranch to See if You Can Benefit from a Mouthguard?
If you are looking for dental restoration options in Highlands Ranch, CO, and are interested in finding out if you can benefit from a mouthguard, call our office to schedule a consultation. Our evaluation process can help answer any questions you may have, and we can listen to your concerns to determine if a mouthguard is right for you.
At Fit to Smile, we welcome all new patients and provide a comfortable and relaxing experience when you visit our office. Contact our practice today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Redfearn , and our friendly staff will be happy to assist you!